boringtechstuff

Friday, March 31, 2006

Weekend Project

I've been contemplating the past couple of days if I should dual boot my beloved MacBookPro with WinXP. Being spoiled by OS X's stability, ease of use, and interface, leaving it and booting to an inferior* OS will be just like putting 87 Octane fuel on your Ferrari.

Having said that, here's my plan for the weekend:

1. Try to figure out a way to run WinXP or at least W2K within OS X. Sorry, WindowsME doesn't count!
2. Make sure that either OS will have a working network connection and decent sound and video output.
3. Make sure that either OS will be performing decently.

I'm currently looking at different solutions (QEMU, Q, Xen, WinTel, etc), but looks like Q is the most feasible one. VMWare would've been the BEST choice but they are not making commitments that they will create an OS X port of their software. The WinTel solution looks like a scam in my book (but I've been known to be wrong before). Even though Q is currently just "emulating", OS X kexts are being developed so that virtualization can be implemented.

Will post results once my experiment is done.


*Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Windows per se. As a matter of fact, I earn my living managing Windows boxes. It's just that running Windows and OS X side by side, I can safely say that OS X wins hands-down-- technically and aesthetically speaking** (IMHO at least, YMMV)

** This is entirely a separate blog entry, err... can of worms. Will work on that once time permits.


Recommended "light" reading links:

QVM86 and kqemu.kext forums
Machine Virtualization
Emulation
Virtualization vs Emulation

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home